Monday, October 11, 2010

It's time for Halloween costumes...

So Halloween is coming up, and I'm sure that most of us are very excited. Halloween's fun, especially in college. No matter when Halloween is, there are three nights to party (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) which means you can have not one but three costumes. It's the best. But know what's not the best? Packaged costumes! Not only is it more fun to create your own costume, but then you can be sure that nobody else at any party will look exactly like you!

It might seem daunting to come up with your own costume, but you can use different parts of your costume over again for each night so that you don't have to buy things for three completely different costumes. For example, last year I went out on Friday and Saturday night. Saturday night was the bigger party, so we saved our best costume for that. I was a yeti and my friends were mountain climbers. I wore this yeti hat, available from buycostumes.com for $25. It was basically the best purchase ever. I wore a white faux fur vest from Target, a silver leotard from American Apparel and silver leggings from American Apparel. Everyone was so jealous. Nobody else at the party looked like me! It's going to be so hard to beat that costume.

Since I already had a bunch of silver stuff, I decided that my Friday night costume should somehow incorporate the silver makeup and clothing. I threw on a white tank dress over my silver leotard, wore a silver headband and covered my eyes in silver makeup. I transformed my yeti costume into wind, and my friends and I were earth, wind, fire and water. I didn't have to buy two completely different costumes, but I still had a very different look.

My favorite part about putting together your own costume is that you can make it as revealing or as conservative as you want. I personally think that funny Halloween costumes are more fun than slutty ones, so I chose to cover up a little bit. However, I know that some girls do love to feel sexy on Halloween. That's fine! I'm not saying you should go to any parties with a huge sheet draped over your head with two holes cut out for your eyes. That's not cute. But, let's just say that the only time anyone should be thinking about tricks on Halloween is when they're trick or treating, not when it looks like you could be turning some. 

If you do want to look sexy on Halloween, you're in luck. Lace leotards, tanks and dresses are VERY in right now. Go into H&M, Forever 21, American Apparel, Nordstrom's BP and other similar stores and I guarantee that you will find some form of sheer lace. If Paris had worn a lace leotard instead of just a lace bra, she could look hot while wearing more than just lingerie. 

In a few days, I'll try to put a post together with different costume ideas and how to do them the funny way and how to do them the sexy way. Does anyone have any ideas for Halloween this year? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! I will try to reply to every comment as soon as possible. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to email me at merincashmere@gmail.com or go to my tumblr!