Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Need a little self-control?

I have posted about one of my favorite downloads, Freedom, before. It's a program that frees you from the distraction of the internet by blocking your computer's internet connection for however long you want. It helped me get through many classes where Facebooking during a lecture was just too tempting. I also have written many papers with the help of Freedom. However, it's not perfect. It cuts you off from ALL of the internet, including helpful resources. I was thrilled when friend showed me a program that allows you to block only the distracting websites! Unfortunately, it only works on Macs. I'm sorry for all you PC users. Here's one more reason to switch.

It's appropriately named SelfControl, which is something I obviously don't have enough of! Here is the official website, but the download there isn't working for me so I downloaded it by going to this page. I'm already obsessed. 

You can edit your list of websites you block any time before you actually go into the block mode. Once you've blocked them, you can't unblock them until time's out. You can add new ones though! This is perfect in case you're just replacing your old websites with new ones to procrastinate with. For example: I blocked Facebook, so I decided to come work on my blog! I might have to block blogger.com next...

I will be using this instead of Freedom from now on! Not only does it block just the websites you need it to, but it shows you how much time you have left. You always have the icon in the dock, and you can move the window around so that it's anywhere you want on the screen. So convenient! This is my new favorite program, and I think that almost every college student could benefit from it. If only they made one that would control alcohol consumption...

What are some of your favorite downloads? Will you be downloading SelfControl? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! I will try to reply to every comment as soon as possible. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to email me at merincashmere@gmail.com or go to my tumblr!