Friday, December 24, 2010

Bold Christmas Manicures!

When I was packing a few nail polishes to bring to my ranch, I decided on five colors: Chanel Coromandel (red), OPI Black Onyx (black), China Glaze Paper Chasin (green), OPI Bring on the Bling (gold glitter) and Essie Shifting Power (gold). I figured that with these five colors, I could somehow create some fun Christmas and New Year's nails! I came up with these two bold looks, with the help of Tania from Heist Cambon

I really wanted to do traditional Christmas nails with red and green, but I thought that alternating red/green might be a little too crazy for me. Tania suggested playing with the Blackberry glove trend. What exactly are Blackberry gloves? They're gloves where you can remove the tips of the thumbs and index fingers so that you can use your Blackberry, iPhone or other smart phone with ease! Click here for an example of a pair.  So instead of alternating red and green, I painted each index finger green while the rest were red. It's a fun, festive look without being too out there.

Blackberry nails have also been a trend in the past few years. You paint all of your nails but do a different color on your thumbs. It is known as a "Blackberry manicure" because your thumbs are what people see when you're tapping away on your Blackberry. I haven't tried this look before but I decided to try it with OPI's Bring on the Bling, one of my favorite nail polishes of the season. Tania suggested doing just my thumbs red so I could be a red-thumbed Mer in cashmere! I think that I would have preferred this look with a much deeper red, but I only had Chanel Coromandel with me. Coromandel is a pretty bright red in person, brighter than it looks in these pictures. This makes it seem like the red and the gold are both fighting for attention. However, I'm going to show it to you anyway just so you can see how it looked. 

In the end, I decided to paint my nails plain and simple black. Maybe I'm a huge wimp, but these looks were just too bold for me! I can handle having all of my nails being one crazy color. I can't, however, handle multiple colors quite yet. I have done crazy neon nails for themed parties, but not for every day life! I'm going to do something with Bring on the Bling and Black Onyx for New Years (or maybe include silver too) but for now I'm sticking to black. Do you like your nails to be bold and out there, or do you prefer a more classic look?

I hope that everyone is having a peaceful and relaxing break. If you celebrate Christmas, have a wonderful Christmas Eve and a Merry Christmas! If you don't, I hope that your December 24 and 25 are just as lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! I will try to reply to every comment as soon as possible. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to email me at merincashmere@gmail.com or go to my tumblr!