Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Favorites of 2010

In 2010 I fell in love many times. Sadly, I didn't fall in love with any men. I did, however, fall in love with beauty products, accessories, books and more! I thought it'd be fun to list my top five favorite things of the year with you all, so here they are: 

1. Mani/pedi combo: Essie Playa del Platinum on fingers and China Glaze Shocking Pink on toes. 
It was hard for me to choose just one nail polish color from 2010, so I decided to choose my favorite mani/pedi combo! I kept coming back to these colors for the entire summer. Playa del Platinum is absolutely gorgeous, and the perfect color to pair with the bright neon pink. Shocking Pink is one of my favorite nail polishes of all time. It's the first nail polish that I've used up and had to repurchase! Everybody should own both of these colors. Shocking Pink isn't quite a winter color but you could definitely wear Playa del Platinum year round. 

2. Book: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.
When I saw the trailer for the movie Never Let Me Go, I knew that I had to read the book. I don't even know how to explain the book without giving anything away! Here's the link to the trailer which immediately drew me in. I read the book in October while I was home for the weekend and then saw the movie as soon as I got back to school. The movie was fun to see but really was nothing compared to the book. The book had the same effect on me that The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo did. Even when I wasn't reading it, all I wanted to do was continue reading to find out what was going on. If you are only going to read one book over winter break, I highly suggest reading Never Let Me Go. 

3. Mac Download: SelfControl.
SelfControl is seriously a lifesaver. I have posted about it before but it's so useful that I just had to include it on this list. This is the reason that I got any work done during finals week. It allows you to block specific websites, such as Facebook, while allowing access to useful websites such as your library's databases. If you haven't downloaded it already, please click here to download it. If you don't have a Mac, I'm sorry. I'm sure there are similar programs for PCs!

4. Watch: ToyWatch Mini Plasteramic.
I remember hearing about ToyWatches a few years ago but I was never very interested in them. They seemed too big! When my mom told me she ordered a mini ToyWatch, I was excited to see it. I was nervous that it'd be so mini that it would be kind of dorky, but they're not at all. I ordered a white one in the summer and loved it so much that I ordered a black one in the fall! They're super light weight, comfortable and durable. I haven't had any problems with mine. The white is very bright and stands out in any outfit, and the black is a little more masculine and looks great with all the grey that I wear. I love them!

5. Gadget: Apple iPad.
This was an obvious choice. When the iPad first came out, I laughed at the name and moved on with my life. I had no desire to get one. When the rest of my family all got iPads and couldn't stop raving about them, I caved. Now I'm obsessed with my iPad and I don't want to go anywhere without it! I read all of my books on it, play games on it and more. I just downloaded an application where you can make your own font--I'm so excited to play around with it and make some fonts for my blog!

What were some of your favorite things you discovered in 2010?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! That book sounds great! The trailer looks amazing - I really want to watch it now! Thanks for sharing! :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie you have to read the book first, it's AMAZING! Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! I will try to reply to every comment as soon as possible. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to email me at merincashmere@gmail.com or go to my tumblr!