One of my readers asked: "Could you do a post on what to wear to frat parties? I'm starting college in the fall and don't know what to wear. If you could also make some outfits online and post links to where I can buy things I would be so happy." My school doesn't have frats or sororities. You can decide if this is a good or a bad thing. The only frat party I've ever been to was a pirate party at USC! However, my friend Tania is active in her school's greek life and was able to help me out! Here are a few of our favorite tips.
OUTFIT - Expect to get sweaty at some point. I think this is a basic rule for many typical college parties. Assume that there will be lots of people, and assume that you will be stuck in a small room with them. Plan accordingly. Wear a good deodorant (obviously!) and don't wear super thick fabrics or ones that will do nothing but stick to your sweaty body. I'm not saying you have to show up in a sports bra and Nike running shorts, but don't wear anything that will suffocate you in a crowded room.
OUTFIT - Ask yourself, "What would I do if someone spilled beer on this?" If you can't answer this question because you get choked up and start crying, consider an outfit change. This doesn't mean that you have to wear a garbage bag. However, you probably shouldn't wear anything that would be ruined by spilled alcohol. It will happen to you, no matter how careful you are. And when it does, you will thank us!
OUTFIT - If you're drinking, drunk proof yourself. If you're wearing a short skirt, please wear underwear. Please, please, please. Don't wear a massive push up bra and then a vneck that goes bellybutton deep. Alcohol will affect your ability to make good decisions. Showing your vagina to all your friends plus your aunts on Facebook is not a good decision. Keep this in mind, and dress so that you don't constantly have to tug things down or pull necklines up.
OUTFIT - Have a few standby outfits. These are outfits that you KNOW you can put on and feel cute. Examples would be a sequined shirt + skinnies, or a cute tanktop + high waisted skirt. These will always be appropriate, look cute in pictures and be pretty comfortable.
HANDBAGS - Try to avoid bringing one. I don't know if I've ever brought a bag out with me. I bring my room key, school ID and phone. It's so hard to keep track of your stuff, I know so many people who misplace their bags and lose EVERYTHING. It's also a huge pain - you don't want to have that! Tania suggests bringing a small, cross-body bag, if you must bring one. This way, your bag will be on you at all times.
SHOES - Avoid heels. Ok heels look great. However, if you're in a crowded room, who will notice them? Answer: only you. And the only reason you'll notice them will be because your feet are killing you, you're drunk, and you have a long walk ahead of you. Do your feet a favor and avoid wearing heels. You have the rest of your life to wear heels when you go out. People will notice them. Unless you're going to a formal, please leave the heels at home.
SHOES - Avoid suede. Unless you have some suede shoes that you're trying to ruin, don't wear them. End of story.
MAKEUP - Don't be a cake face. I personally am not a fan of too much makeup EVER, but I think that it's super annoying to have a ton of makeup on at sweaty college parties. You want to go for a simple look so that, even after lots of dancing, you still look hot and not like a hot mess. If I feel like my makeup is messed up, I feel so self conscious! Therefore, it's easy to start out with less :)






I literally agree with everything said in this post, it was all dead on and so true. Especially keep mind that if you wear a skirt or dress, there will be hands that reach up there.
ReplyDeleteWow I love this post! Very well put.
ReplyDeletethanks jasmine! that is the WORST! so nasty
ReplyDeletethanks moco <3
awesome post! love the blog
ReplyDeletecome follow the first ever fashion blog from a Guys POV, let He know what you think
fashionbyhe.blogspot.com
Just a suggestion.. I bring a wristlet with me everywhere when I'm at college. It's easy to carry with and you can keep it with you when you're out shakin' your booty. I usually keep my phone, keys, ID, cash, and sometimes even my camera in it.
ReplyDeletegood suggestion! I personally don't like wristlets just because even that is a little too big for me, but a ton of my friends use them! thanks!
ReplyDeleteOmg! I remember some idiot spilled beer on my leather Bebe dress, ugh. Why did it have to happen to be when I was wearing a leather dress!!!
ReplyDelete