Usually I'm pretty good about finishing a book once I started it. Even if I'm not super into it, I still want to know how it ends. I feel almost bad shutting a book when I'm halfway through, never to return to it again! However, every once in awhile I find a book that I simply have no desire to finish. The most recent book I was all too eager to put down was Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love. Lots of people were talking about it on my school's class of 2013 group, and so I was like, "Oh, I should check it out!" I was super excited to read it, but was let down.
I couldn't get through it! I think I got halfway through the second section and then gave up. She was whiny and irritating, and I couldn't connect with her at all! I was expecting to love it and feel great afterwards, but I just wanted to throw it on the floor! Should I have finished it and gotten through the "love section" or did I make the right decision? If you've read this book, what do you think?






I had such a hard time with that book as well. I kept reading it though because I thought it would get better...it didn't. Not sure why it was so a big hit.
ReplyDeleteOMG same. I love to read books and I always finish it within a week but this took forever and I didn't finish it. It was so lackluster to me
ReplyDeleteI totally agree... so whiny and self-centered. I will be going to see Julia Roberts playing her when the movie comes out though!
ReplyDeleteAgreed! I am an avid reader and HAVE to finish everything but couldn't get much further past where you stopped in this book for the same reasons.
ReplyDeleteDid you see the movie? For some reason, I couldn't get through the book but blubbered through the movie and plan on adding it to my collection as soon as it goes on sale, ha.
She just truly drove me insane!
ReplyDeleteI didn't, but I will have to look into it! I feel like maybe the movie is better because it's not the direct voice of the author? I'll check it out, thank you!