I recently stumbled upon the book Beauty Confidential by Nadine Haobsh, amazon.com, $11.19. I found it through one of my favorite beauty blogs, BellaSugar. I love the whole Sugar network, especially Bella and GeekSugar. If you aren't familiar, you should check them out. When I first found GeekSugar, I read through every single page, as far back as I could! I decided to check out BellaSugar for the first time since I started getting into beauty products, and I read it for hours!
I've always kind of thought that beauty books are pointless, since there's so much information available on the web. However, when I found this book I decided to download it! There's something to be said for having all of your beauty information in one place, written by one author.
It's written by beauty blogger/editor Nadine Jolie and is full of practical advice. She also writes about her experiences as a beauty editor, making it more than just a book with beauty advice. You get stories from her life too, which are written in a casual, fun way. I had no idea what the life of a beauty editor was like, and now I'm dying to be one! Usually, I'd skip over the sections about coloring hair (something I don't do) but I read them just to read her writing.
She covers everything from how to tip at a high end salon to how to care for your sensitive skin. She's also incredibly easy to relate to. You never feel like she thinks she's better than you. She doesn't claim to have perfect skin or perfect hair, but she does claim to have knowledge about the products that can help you fake it. She also has advice about which products are worth the splurge, and which ones are fine being bought at the drugstore. If you were wondering, she thinks that you should buy your cleanser cheap and save your money for moisturizers and treatments that will be spending more time on your skin.
Some of my favorite parts of her book are her product list. She tells you what the "beauty editor standards" are and which products/colors are her favorite, and then kindly lists them at the end of each chapter with a price guide on a scale of $-$$$$$ ($ = less than $10, $$$$$ = over $100). I need to go through all of these when I'm done and find some new products! Speaking of new products, I ordered a few things from Sephora today and they should be here soon. I cracked and ordered some new skincare products, eek.
Anyway, I'm only about halfway through, but I definitely suggest checking it out! She also wrote a novel that I haven't bought yet, but I've been considering buying it.
Do you guys have any favorite beauty books?






No comments:
Post a Comment
Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! I will try to reply to every comment as soon as possible. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to email me at merincashmere@gmail.com or go to my tumblr!