When I pack to go anywhere, I ask myself questions such as: When was the last time I wore this? How many times will I wear this in the future? This assures that no space is wasted on clothes or accessories that I won't actually wear. Naturally, I asked these same questions when packing for college. The clothes I wear the most go to school, the rest stay at home in my closet. At first I thought, "If I don't want to bring something to college with me, I obviously don't want it in my life!" However, I was very wrong.
Whenever I am packing to return to school after a break at home, I always find a few things in my closet that I want to bring back with me! Boots that I didn't think I would want are all of a sudden packed in my bag, along with scarves, jewelry and other accessories I didn't want to bring before. Although I didn't go Black Friday shopping at any stores, I did find a few great things in my closet! Here is a different type of haul post - a haul from my very own closet!
1. Handbag. My impulse purchases usually consist of nail polishes, lipsticks and sunglasses. I generally tend to spend a lot of time thinking about shoes and handbags. I'll lust after a bag for what seems like ages before deciding to actually buy it. That all changed when I saw this bag, the Marc by Marc Jacobs Baby Groovee. It was love at first sight. I have the very first Dr. Q Groovee MBMJ bag that came out, and it is one of my favorite bags. When I saw the miniature version a year or two ago, I became obsessed. However, it's significantly smaller than the original and I thought that it looked awkward on me. I had buyer's remorse and every time I saw it in my closet I wondered why I bought it. Over Thanksgiving break, I fell in love with it again! I used it a few times and for some reason it didn't look awkward anymore! I don't know what changed but I love it now.
2. Scarves. When I first packed for college, I didn't bring a single scarf. They're not really necessary in 90 degree weather. When I went home in October, I brought a few cozy scarves back with me. It was starting to cool down and I figured I might as well be prepared. Over Thanksgiving, I found many more scarves that I wanted to bring home. It's getting chilly (40s and 50s are freezing in my opinion!) and I needed to have plenty of options. One of my favorites is this Virginia Johnson scarf. It is covered in little chicks! Sometimes, depending on the way I wrap it, you can barely tell that they're chicks, it just looks like blobs of yellow. You can tell they're chicks but it's not like, oh her scarf has little baby chickens on it, weird. Speaking of animals on clothing, I found a ton I think it's very whimsical and cute! I can't find this exact one online, but Barney's carries a bunch of different ones! Click here to see more. I love the browns and reds, so beautiful. The green/tan collage one caught my eye immediately!
3. Jewelry. For my high school graduation I got a pair of diamond earrings, and they have barely left my ears since. I wear them basically every single day, so often that I kind of forgot I owned any other earrings. However, this Thanksgiving I found two pairs of earrings that I just had to bring back with me, as well as a necklace I forgot about! The snowflake ones were a gift from my best friend, they're from Banana Republic. So cute and wintery! I can't wait to wear these. The heart ones are Gucci and I'm obsessed. The hearts are cute and girly without being super obnoxious! If you've read my blog since the beginning, you might remember my gold bee necklace. Although I'm terrified of bees, I seem to have a thing for wearing them around my neck! This one is much smaller and the bee is built into the chain, it's not a charm. It's so dainty and adorable! I don't know why I haven't worn it much before. As you can see, I'm really feeling silver jewelry right now!
4. Nail polish. I have quite a lot of nail polish. I've been making an effort to cut back on my nail polish purchases, and I've done a great job. When I went home, I fell in love with two colors I had left there. They are OPI Quarter of a Cent-Cherry and Essie Lady Godiva. Besides my stint with Bring on the Bling, my nails have been dark, dark colors this whole winter. My mom and I went to get mani/pedis and I almost decided to go with black on my fingers, but she convinced me to go with red. It's much more Christmasy! My toes are Lady Godiva, which is a rich, deep brown. Once my friend and her mom were shopping somewhere that sold Godiva chocolate. A woman very excitedly exclaimed, "Now this is my type of chocolate! Go diva!" My mom asked me what the name of the brown was, and I almost told her Lady Go-Diva! Lucky I caught myself. Anyway, it's nice to switch up my somewhat boring nail routine with browns and reds.
5. Boots. I have had these boots for a few years, I can't remember when I bought them. It must've been my junior or senior year in high school. For some reason, I haven't worn them that much! I think part of it was the color. It was always easier for me to make outfits with my dark brown boots, so these ones were usually left in my closet! I don't know why I was nervous to wear them though--I love the way the pop against black skinnies. I bravely dug them out of my closet over Thanksgiving and brought them back to school with me, and I'm so glad I did. It's getting cold here and I need to have more closed toe options! They're the Corso Como Sandra, which I can't find for purchase anywhere. However, the Corso Como Rhonda, piperlime.com, $198 are kind of similar! They're also a great price. Corso Como shoes are so comfortable, I highly recommend them. I wore these on the plane today and was totally fine! Usually I hate traveling in any shoes other than sandals or Uggs if I'm going to the snow.
Do you do this when you go home? Do you ever go "shopping in your closet" for old things you forgot about?
I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving and are getting ready for finals! We can do it!
I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving and are getting ready for finals! We can do it!










I adore this post! Makes me want to wear the things in my closet that I've been neglecting for months!
ReplyDeleteI love the groovee bag! My sister exact same one as you, the original one that was first released. I'm really regretting that I didn't get it as well because the current MBMJ bags don't havve the same quality leather it did during the line's test run!
ReplyDeleteIf I find that I haven't worn anything in a while, I'll donate it. But I've regretted doing that to certain things because I want to wear it again =(
Aimee - Thank you! Go look through your closet, it's amazing!
ReplyDeleteMaddy - I totally agree about the leather. The leather on this one doesn't compare to the first Groovee series. Soooooo nice. I recently did a HUGE clean out of my closet and so it's hard for me to want to donate anything now because I'm like "Well I must've kept it for a reason!" but there are definitely a few things that I should probably stop holding onto haha
I'm going to go explore my closet for lost clothes now...
ReplyDeleteWhitney
I've been looking for tall tan boots forever so thank you for writing about yours!! I'm ordering a pair now!
ReplyDeletewww.couturecoco.wordpress.com
I love shopping in my closet when I go home! But it's always disappointing because seeing the clothes there makes me remember why I left them there in the first place. And yet I always open my closet convinced I can find something to take back with me. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteI'M IN LOVE WITH THOSE BOOTS! What brand are they??! I must purchase a pair or four!
ReplyDeleteOkay so I LOVE OPI nail polish but I've never tried the brand essie. Do you like it? Does it chip easily?
ReplyDeleteAnonymous boot lover - they're Corso Como! So great!
ReplyDeleteKelsey - Yes! I love essie!!! I don't think it chips easily. Chipping also depends a lot on the base coat/top coat you use, but I've never had any problems with essie chipping! I love it!
Love this post! I always shop in my closet when visiting mom and dad - so many things seem to come back in style! I also like to shop in mom's closet :)
ReplyDeleteI know! There are so many things I bought four years ago that I was too scared to wear, but now I'm like oh I can do that!
ReplyDeleteI wish my mom let me go through her closet!